The Girton and Newnham Unit of the Scottish Women’s Hospitals in World War One

Images as a stimulus to research in Scotland and in France (Version française ci-dessous)
by Carol Parry and Elaine Morrison FRCP (Glasg)

In June 1915 the very first tented mobile unit of the Scottish Women’s Hospitals was established in the grounds of the Chateau de Chanteloup in the countryside near the medieval French city of Troyes.  The latter become a hospital town during the First World War with schools and other buildings converted into temporary hospitals to care for the wounded from the Front.

The striking images in Sister Annie Allan’s photograph album (RCPSG 74) inspired us to research the Girton and Newnham Unit leading to the publication of an article about the work of the unit in the Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in December 2014.

Meanwhile, unknown to us, Francis Tailleur, Directeur Pédagogique at the Institut Chanteloup, had also discovered some striking images of the Scottish Women’s Hospitals at Chanteloup, in the form of postcards. The use of the Chateau de Chanteloup and its grounds during the First World War had been almost completely forgotten. Francis, with the support of Marie-Odile Velut, the manager of the Institut Chanteloup, and the help of the local museum (amongst others), researched the work of the unit at Chanteloup and curated a wonderful exhibition to commemorate the work of the Scottish Women’s Hospitals there.

Having seen our paper, Francis contacted the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. We were delighted to discover this shared enthusiasm and a friendly and productive correspondence then ensued between Troyes and Glasgow, culminating in our visit to the exhibition in early June.  The Library and Archive supplied images for the exhibition at Chanteloup from the photograph album of Sister Annie Allan, a nurse with the Girton and Newnham Unit during the First World War (for details of Sister Allan see an earlier blog post). We were also able to help coordinate music for the exhibition via James Beaton at the National Piping Centre and further images via Marianne Smith, Librarian at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.

Nurses walking in the grounds of Chateau de Chanteloup, 1915 (RCPSG 74)

Nurses walking in the grounds of Chateau de Chanteloup, 1915 (RCPSG 74)

The Chateau de Chanteloup was to house the German army for a short time in August 1944 later became the Institut Chanteloup, a school for children with special needs. The Chateau no longer houses the school – a remarkable new purpose built school has been built in the grounds where once the large tents of the Girton and Newnham Unit were erected to provide medical and surgical care to soldiers of the French army.

The grounds were used to great effect for the exhibition, much of which was outdoors. The woodland surrounding the chateau is still there, as is the orangerie which was used by Dr Louise McIlroy, as the Unit’s operating theatre – this was meticulously recreated as part of the exhibition.

The Orangerie which was used as an operating theatre.

The Orangerie which was used as an operating theatre.

The X-ray room and a tisanerie were also recreated, so too the office of the Unit’s formidable administrator, Madame la Directrice, Mrs K Harley.

Particularly poignant were the recreations of the tents used to care for the soldiers and to accommodate staff.

Nurse's tent recreated for the exhibition, June 2015

Nurse’s tent recreated for the exhibition, June 2015

Even the uniforms of the nurses and doctors of the Scottish Women’s Hospitals were represented in an uncanny likeness.

Uniforms made especially for the exhibition at Chanteloup

Uniforms made especially for the exhibition at Chanteloup

The pupils and staff of the school also played their part in the exhibition with work from their First World War project on display along with family stories from that time. Local people and schools visited the exhibition and it proved a wonderful way of involving the whole community in a commemoration of an, until now, largely forgotten event. The Girton and Newnham unit was further honoured by the naming of a pathway next to the school – Allée des Dames Ecossaises.

Allée des Dames Ecossaises

Allée des Dames Ecossaises

For us, having researched the work of the unit for so long in Glasgow, our visit to Chanteloup was something of a pèlerinage and also a wonderful opportunity to establish new friendships.

Further information about the exhibition can be found on the Chanteloup Centenaire 1915-2015 blog

For further information about the Scottish Women’s Hospitals see the website created and maintained by Alan Cumming: Scottish Women’s Hospitals.

L’Unité Girton and Newnham du Scottish Women’s Hospitals pendant la Première Guerre mondiale

Images comme un stimulant pour la recherche en Ecosse et en France
par Carol Parry et Elaine Morrison FRCP (Glasg)
En Juin 1915, la première unité mobile de tentes du SWH a été établie dans le parc du château de Chanteloup, dans la campagne près de la ville médiévale française de Troyes. Cette dernière était devenue une ville hôpital au cours de la Première Guerre mondiale avec des écoles et d’autres bâtiments transformés en hôpitaux temporaires pour soigner les blessés du Front.

Les images frappantes de l’album photo de l’infirmière Annie Allan (RCPSG 74) nous ont incitées à faire des recherches sur l’unité Girton and Newnham conduisant à la publication d’un article sur le travail de cette unité dans le Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh en décembre 2014.

Pendant ce temps, à notre insu, Francis Tailleur, directeur pédagogique de l’Institut Chanteloup, avait aussi découvert quelques images frappantes du SWH à Chanteloup. L’utilisation du Château de Chanteloup et de ses pelouses au cours de la Première Guerre mondiale avait été presque complètement oubliée. Francis, avec le soutien de Marie-Odile Velut, la directrice de l’Institut Chanteloup et l’aide de partenaires locaux, faisait des recherches sur le travail de l’unité à Chanteloup et organisait une exposition merveilleuse pour commémorer le travail du SWH là-bas.

Après avoir vu notre article, Francis contacta le Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. Nous avons été ravies de découvrir cet enthousiasme partagé et une correspondance amicale et productive débuta entre Troyes et Glasgow, culminant dans notre visite de l’exposition au début de juin. La Bibliothèque et les Archives fournirent des images de l’album photo d’Annie Allan pour l’exposition à Chanteloup, une infirmière de l’unité Girton and Newnham pendant la Première Guerre mondiale (pour les détails concernant Annie Allan voir un blog plus tôt). Nous avons également pu aider à coordonner la musique pour l’exposition par l’intermédiaire de James Beaton, du National Piping Centre et d’autres images par Marianne Smith, bibliothécaire au Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.

Dans le Château de Chanteloup s’installa l’armée allemande à la fin de la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Le site accueille maintenant l’Institut Chanteloup, un établissement pour enfants ayant des besoins spéciaux. Le Château n’abrite plus l’école – un remarquable nouveau bâtiment a été construit dans le parc où jadis les grandes tentes de l’Unité Girton and Newnham avaient été érigées pour fournir des soins médicaux et chirurgicaux aux soldats de l’armée française.
Les pelouses ont été utilisées à bon escient pour l’exposition qui présentait une grande partie de ce qui était à l’extérieur. La forêt qui entoure le château est toujours là, comme l’orangerie qui a été utilisée par le Dr Louise McIlroy comme salle d’opérations de l’unité – cela a été minutieusement recréé dans le cadre de l’exposition.

La salle d'operations

La salle d’operations

La salle de radiographie et une tisanerie ont également été recréées, ainsi que le bureau de Madame la Directrice, Mrs. K. Harley.

La salle de radiographie

La salle de radiographie

Particulièrement poignantes étaient les reconstitutions des tentes utilisées pour soigner les soldats et pour loger le personnel. Même les uniformes des infirmières et des médecins du SWH étaient représentés dans une ressemblance troublante.

Les élèves et le personnel de l’établissement ont également joué leur rôle dans l’exposition avec le travail mené sur la Première Guerre mondiale et l’affichage d’histoires familiales de cette époque. Les populations locales et les écoles ont visité l’exposition et ont permis d’une merveilleuse façon l’implication de toute la communauté dans une commémoration d’un événement, jusqu’à présent, largement oubliée. L’unité Girton and Newnham a en outre été honorée par le nom donné à une voie à côté de l’établissement – Allée des Dames Ecossaises.

Pour nous, après avoir étudié le travail de l’unité pendant si longtemps à Glasgow, notre visite à Chanteloup était une sorte de pèlerinage et aussi une merveilleuse occasion d’établir de nouvelles amitiés.

Plus d’informations sur l’exposition peuvent être trouvées sur le blog Chanteloup-Centenaire 1915-2015.

Pour plus d’informations sur le SWH, voir le site web créé et animé par Alan Cumming: Scottish Womens Hospitals.

2 thoughts on “The Girton and Newnham Unit of the Scottish Women’s Hospitals in World War One

  1. Pingback: Whewell’s Gazette: Year2, Vol. #19 | Whewell's Ghost

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s